Fridge foraging can sometimes yield surprisingly mouthwatering results. During my latest rummage, I managed to collect the ingredients for this salad, which made for a fantastic lunch. Very little effort went into chopping and even less went into making the dressing; just a squeeze of lemon and a drizzling of cold-pressed flaxseed oil. This salad is enough for two, although the quantities can be easily adjusted.
Smoked Salmon & Courgette Salad
- ½ zucchini, about 4ounces, sliced thinly on an angle
- ⅓ hothouse cucumber, about 4 ounces, sliced thinly on an angle
- 4-5 medium to large cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 small haas avocado, skinned and sliced
- 2-3 ounces smoked salmon
- 8-10 basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed flaxseed oil
- ½ lemon, cut into wedges
- sprinkling of sea salt, about ⅛ teaspoon
- pinch of fresh ground black pepper
Arrange the zucchini, cucumber, mushrooms, avocados, and smoked salmon onto a plate in an almost careless fashion. Scatter the fresh thyme and basil leaves onto the salad. Drizzle the top of the salad with flaxseed oil and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Garnish with lemon wedges and serve immediately.