I first made this potato salad for our friend, Michi, who visited us for dinner on a really cold and wet night a few winters back. It was a last-minute decision to make this dish . Mostly because it was cold as all get out and I wasn’t about to make another trip out to the market. I was limited to ingredients that I had in the pantry, along with a few odds and ends in the fridge. Luckily, I had just enough to pull this together. The spicy-citrus flavors totally blew my hair back! I liked it so much that I made it again for our really good friends, Jaina and CJ, the following weekend. It seemed everyone I’ve served it to has enjoyed it. So I’ve been making it ever since. I roast the potatoes for this recipe because I think they are much more flavorful roasted. However, you can also boil the potatoes if you prefer.
Chipotle-Lime Roasted Potato Salad – serves up to 6
- 3 pounds potatoes, washed
- ⅓ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 6 tablespoons chicken or vegetable stock
- 3-4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup of green onion, sliced at an angle
- 2-3 cups baby arugula, washed and dried
- 2/3 cup of cilantro, chopped (optional)
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the potatoes into large, bite sized chunks, usually into halves and quarters, and place them on a sheet pan.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the potatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Using clean hands spread the olive oil onto the potatoes until every side glistens with oil. Place the pan in the oven and roast for 35-45 minutes, until tender and golden brown, turning them after the 20 minutes so they brown evenly. Meanwhile, make the dressing.
- To make the dressing, place the chipotle peppers, garlic, lime juice, chicken or vegetable stock, 1 teaspoon sea salt, and remaining ⅓ cup of olive oil into a large mixing bowl and whisk.
- Once the potatoes are done remove them from the oven and place them into the dressing. Toss the potatoes and dressing. Just before serving add the arugula, green onion and cilantro and give the salad one final toss. Check for seasonings and serve immediately.